Faculty and staff may use the follow methods of procurement:
- A faculty/staff member identifies a buying need. The faculty/staff member may ask Purchasing Services to identify sources and develop procurement descriptions or specifications.
- The requirement is entered into eBuy. Any single/sole source justifications should also be submitted at this time.
- The purchasing requisition travels electronically through the requesting department’s specified approval path: the Financial Officer, the Budget Administrator, Accounting, and any other approvals the department chooses to establish.
- Purchasing Services processes the requisition in accordance with University guidelines and bidding thresholds.
- The Purchasing Agent must justify the source and the price.
- The Purchasing Agent is responsible for determining the validity of any sole source justifications.
- The Purchase Order is approved and released.
- The product or service is delivered to the requester.
- An invoice is sent to Purchasing Services.
- Purchasing performs a three-way match.
- Accounting issues the payment.
Bids are not required for orders with a total cost of less than $10,000; however, bids may be solicited by the Purchasing Agent, taking into consideration lead time, availability of substitutes, and knowledge of the general marketplace. For purchases between $10,000 and $25,000, evidence of competition is required, and the Purchasing Agent may solicit written bids from at least three responsive and responsible suppliers. Purchases over $25,000 require, whenever possible, written bids or proposals from at least three responsive and responsible suppliers solicited by Purchasing Services.
Other helpful information about procurement methods:
Construction and Renovation
Payment of Freight and Express Invoices GURU
Payment of Vendor’s Invoices GURU
Purchase Order Change/Cancellation Forms
Terms and Conditions
Construction and renovation work over $50,000 is generally handled by Physical Plant Contract Administration, and Purchasing does not become involved. All other work will flow through Purchasing and some special provisions do apply.
When an emergency* arises, the faculty or staff member involved should contact Purchasing Services to explain the need. He or she will be advised by the Purchasing Agent of the necessary steps or action to be taken to obtain the material or service. The action taken may be telephoning of the request by the Agent to a supplier, with follow-up documentation to be sent to Purchasing Services as instructed.
* Note: For purposes of this policy, an emergency shall be defined as a sudden and unforeseen situation, and with the potential to pose a threat to the safety of personnel or property, requiring immediate action.
Purchasing Services has exclusive authority to change or cancel a Purchase Order. If such need arises, Purchasing Services should be contacted immediately. A Purchase Order Change form (pdf) must be submitted by the requesting department.